Old Fort Pierce Park is the site of Fort Pierce, a military installation constructed by the U.S. Army in Florida with the purpose of being a main supply depot for the army during the Second Seminole War. The modern town of Fort Pierce derives its name from this installation.
Fort Pierce, named for its first commander Benjamin Pierce, was built in 1838 and abandoned in 1842 at the end of the Second Seminole War, burning down the following year.
Today, the site is a park along the Indian River. The park is also the site of an ancient burial mound of the Ais Indians.
These pictures are from an early November Sunday drive when we stopped at the park.
*click any image to view gallery